US Military Says Two American Commercial Ships Successfully Pass Through Strait of Hormuz

International|
|
By Kim Su-ho
||
Ships are anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, seen from the Oman side, on April 4 (local time). Reuters-Yonhap - Seoul Economic Daily International News from South Korea
Ships are anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, seen from the Oman side, on April 4 (local time). Reuters-Yonhap

The US Central Command said Tuesday that two American commercial ships successfully passed through the Strait of Hormuz.

According to Reuters, the Central Command said on X, formerly known as Twitter, that "US Navy guided-missile destroyers are currently operating in the Arabian Gulf after transiting the Strait of Hormuz in support of Project Freedom." It added, "The US military is actively supporting the resumption of commercial vessel traffic, and as a first step, two American commercial ships have successfully passed through the Strait of Hormuz and are sailing safely."

Earlier in the day, Iranian media reported that a US Navy escort ship attempting to pass through the Strait of Hormuz was struck by two Iranian missiles in the Gulf of Oman and retreated. The US military denied the report, saying no such attack had occurred.

The US military launched Project Freedom on Tuesday morning, an operation to help civilian vessels trapped in the Gulf waters (Persian Gulf) escape by passing through the Strait of Hormuz.

AI-translated from Korean. Quotes from foreign sources are based on Korean-language reports and may not reflect exact original wording.

00:0004:56